Question for Eric about TCC lockup & engine coolant temperature ...

Discussion in 'All Topics, Chips, and Tech for Buicks' started by Turbohh, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Turbohh

Turbohh Member

Eric,
    I purchased an Extender chip from you back in 2013. I recently had my trans rebuilt, and have noticed that the torque converter doesn't seem to lockup at the desired 60 mph speed I programmed into the chip. I do know the lockup solenoid is working correctly as the convertor locks up when jumpered at the trans case. I can't say that TCC lockup was working before I had the trans rebuilt, except when I put in my emissions chip for Ca smog tests. I have a very efficient Griffin radiator in the car, and a 160 degree thermostat, and at 60 mph my coolant temp is hovering around 159 -160 (at least now in the winter, even with the fans in non-race mode control)... Is there a minimum engine coolant temp parameter in this chip, above which the TC lockup is enabled? If so, what is the temp? Is it above 160 F? Can you burn a new chip with a lower temp threshold, like 140 or 150? Are there trans life issues with going at a lower temperature? Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide.
    Sincerely,
    John Alvarez

2. EricM

EricM Administrator Staff Member

The coolant temp threshold for TCC lock is 145 degrees.
    The Extender chip is set up to not lock in 3rd gear, only 4th, so it's possible your gear switches aren't working properly.

3. Turbohh

Turbohh Member

Eric,
    Thanks for the reply and info ... I'll look into the gear switches ...
    Sincerely,
    John Alvarez